Sunday, July 25, 2010

Here We Go Again

New job, new classroom, new students, new blog... so, what else is new?

Monday I start training for my new position. I figured it was time to reopen the blog so that I can once again recount the trials and tribulations that such a position entails. Thank you to all of those that have be commenting and waiting patiently for my return to blogging... this blog is for you.

The Details:
I've accepted a position teaching a 7th grade Social Studies class, rather classes. I've returned to civilization and will be enjoying the unique experience of living and working near my social circle. Ahh refreshing. Hopefully having the friends and family close by will be a nice change of pace from the seclusion of my previous semester. (For those that missed my previous blog feel free to check it out and catch yourselves up. However you may want to make sure you are sitting down and not actively drinking anything for fear it will make its way into your nasal cavities. You've been warned. Surviving Year One: A Teacher's Life )

Completely honestly I'm a bit nerved out about this new position. A new job is unnerving enough, and teaching is one of those few jobs where you are left much to your own devices. As much as I hate the CA standards, I also value them... they are the only real pacing guide I have to what a student is "supposed to be learning." History is a big subject, I mean where do I begin? I had a friend recently tell me he wished he knew then what he knows now. I asked what he meant and his reply was: "If I only knew how freaked out my teachers were about teaching my class..." Scary but true. I keep waiting for the Candid Cameras and for someone to say something like "ha just kidding you aren't allowed to teach these young people."

Now that I've secured your faith in my abilities...

Training starts tomorrow. A week of staff bonding, general policies, team building, cooperative planning, 6th grade orientation and classroom set up is in store. I'm still trying to figure out what to wear.

3 comments:

  1. You couldn't take it easy on those of us who bookmarked the old one and just continue where you left off? You had to go get a whole new URL... Oh well, at least you kept the fish to play with! :) Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures, and hopefully more frequently in person since you'll be so much closer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! I was just thinking the other day that I was going to miss your unique perspective on education :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your stuff Jill! Good luck on the new position. I'm in history now and hating it. Maybe you can help me next semester when I get to 1877 on! What school?

    ReplyDelete