Monday, September 6, 2010



Had a stressful week this last week.

Ironically it wasn't all due to my job. I've been house hunting, and trying to find some social balance in my life; both of which have proven to be challenging. On a successful note I did find a place to live and will soon be making the treacherous journey all 4 miles across town to my very own place with a guest room. (Just in case I happen to find a friend who has the inclination to visit me. It's good to have goals)

Back to school however, and I had a surprising week.

I met with my BTSA mentor this week. I"m really excited about working with him. He's also a history teacher for 7th grade but at a different school. He's really fun and knowledgeable and he's going to make this process as painless as possible. I did however realize just how much work I have to do now... sigh... too bad my teaching gets in the way of all these meetings, trainings, reports and emails.

On a different note: I was suffering from slight burnout Friday, partially due to the upcoming parent conference, being the last day in a five week stretch of work, and the upcoming dance that had the kids in an uproar. It resulted in a headache and a complete indifference to anything the last half hour of the day. The problem ensued when the last half hour (our "homeroom" sort of period) was given "free-time" by me and my principal walked in to witness the resulting chaos. Oops. Needless to say I have a meeting with him about it first this tomorrow morning when I return to work. Crap.

Well as soon as he left my headache worsened, the kids were dismissed for the dance and I had to enter the parent meeting which had the feeling of a firing squad with me holding the blindfold.

The meeting was for my "problem student" who has been giving me grief for the last five weeks. According to him I can't do anything right and not only that but I'm also unfair, racist, and picking on him. Awesome. His parents have also had their bulls-eye on me seeing as they only see his side of the story. I was so looking forward to this. (sarcastic font)

My co-workers haven't had the same level of problems like I have with him and they have been trying to help me with ideas, but they all showed up Friday to support me and to back up my concerns. One teacher even went as far as observing my classroom with the intent of catching him at something so that she could call home and show his parents that he has been a problem for multiple teachers.

Following her call home my "problem student" decided to straighten up the last two days this week (just in time for his parent conference) and so my week went much smoother than usual in that regard. His parent conference ended up going very well and his entire teaching staff and his parents are all on the same page. We are all now just hoping he can stay with us too.

Remember my headache? Well following the conference my headache again increased and the next level apparently included nausea. I made my way to the office in search of some sort of pain killer or head remover, I was willing to consider anything. I settled for two extra strength Tylenol and a chair. Remember now it's Friday on a holiday weekend, and about 4:30 by the time all this happened. Traffic starts to back up around 2:30 meaning that my commute home was guaranteed to be an hour. I got up, wobbly and quite green and attempted to make it to my car. Denied. The secretary and administrative assistant played a blocking maneuver and I ended up face-down in the school sick bay. Plastic "couch," an icepack under my neck, and a mug full of tea and I was down for the count. As embarrassing as it was the rest was welcome and the staff that happened to see me there, after the initial shock, were all very sweet. BY 6:00 I was up again and I ended up joining some of the teachers for the post dance dinner/drinks at the local hangout. I was still quite green so I stayed just long enough for two tacos and a little bit of laughter and bonding.

We are a young staff and I'm finding my niche, or niches actually. I have found myself in three different groups of people so to speak, each quite separate from the others. This is partially due to the physical school layout, and partially due to personality, however each has been very accommodating in their own right. From one teacher I got a hug, another bought me lunch, a third brings me supplies, and still others offer me wine after a long day. It's good to feel so supported. Now I just need to face the principal tomorrow morning. *gulp* I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment