Saturday, August 7, 2010

Do These Points Matter?



I'm in a perpetual state of learning. I love it. Thursday I learned that not everyone is cut out for last minute schedule changes, high energy interactions, and controlling crowds of 120+ kids. I also learned (or re-learned) that I am.

The camp-style-carnival went off well. A few groups were late and we ran out of time, so the winning team (which is sure to be mine) will have to be decided at a later date. As the groups slowly filed into the gym I worked on explaining the stations by demonstrating and making a royal fool of myself. The rouse worked and the kids got excited. I explained the rules, or lack-there-of, and announced that the winning team would earn the privilege of hanging the "flag" in their classroom.

*The flag is a clearance sale pirate costume I found that was cut and stapled to an old wooden pole, compliments of the artistic ladies in the office*

Upon announcement of "points" one of my students politely raised his hand and asked innocently: "Is this like in class, where the points don't matter?"

*Allow me to clarify. I've been increasing class participation and enthusiasm by following the Whose Line is it Anyway mantra: "The rules are made up and the points don't matter." For example I've been giving arbitrary points for things such as being quiet first or flattering the teacher (One student guessed I was 24 years old and received 50 points accordingly). In addition, wearing Chucks to school earns a student and automatic 100 points. I specifically informed the students, to assure them that I don't play favorites, that I will still like you if you wear something else, such as Vans, but just not as much*

Anyway as this student sincerely asked the question my fellow teachers looked surprised and I about fell over laughing.

An hour later, with my voice barely intact the students were herded out of the gym and off to home, but not before I suggested they go home and practice the remaining stations so that they may increase their scores tomorrow. Stations included activities such as: over under with a volley ball, throwing a Frisbee into a bucket, filling a jar with spoonfuls of water, and trying to "blow" a paper across the floor using only a Frisbee.

It was an exhausting day and I went home and was asleep by 8:30.

I came to school Friday with the expectation of completing the activities. The kids asked about it all day, and there was even some friendly banter between a few groups over the winning of the flag.

But as things do, schedules changed and instead we had an hour of "free time" on the field as a way to bond with the students. Not sure if you have been outside around 2:30 in the afternoon in August, but in case you haven't, it's quite warm. Hot even. Being unable to sit idly by and watch the students mingle and meander from the shade, I decided to join the soccer crew on the field and proceeded to smack-talk my students. (I'm such a good teacher) We had a smattering of students I did not know and many I did. At one point I threatened a student's grade on him scoring a goal against my team. At another point a student kicked the ball into my stomach, to the sound of gasps from the teams. I of course deftly returned to the ball to the opposite side of the field, and then went after the little munchkin. We had a good time. My students are now very aware that when it comes to pick-up games I am adept at cheating. Again I'd like to reiterate I'm such a good teacher. Have I mentioned yet that I'm teaching the sport elective this fall?

In all, it was a good week and I'm finding my niche. My day is not without its challenges and I would really love some Duct Tape for a few students in my third period, but as far as first weeks go, I'm very happy. This sure is a nice change from last semester. For those waiting for some more gossip and drama do not fret there is more to come and soon. A teacher is already leaving, there is some personality conflicts already starting to boil, and I'm still without a classroom key! Oh the drama.

Here's the classroom as it now looks, a big improvement on the empty space I was confronted with two weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment