Sunday, August 15, 2010

Warren Beatty and Julius Caesar...

According to Warren Beatty, "You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what you're doing is work or play."

Hmmm. It's a bit early to start toting my career successes but if the next year is anything like the last week then I'm in for a long, mostly happy, and challenging working environment. Last week was the start of our elective classes, an all-day writing assessment, and Back to School night. I have been putting in a minimum of 2 extra hours daily at school, above and beyond the school day, and for back to school night I spent a whopping 15 hours on campus, minus the 20 minute hunt for dinner at the local Safeway.

I suppose that sounds a bit like complaining, and from Thursday when I crawled into bed moments after arriving home, until the 8 hours later when I woke and headed directly back to work, I was definitely not overly happy about my situation. However I am putting in these hours without being asked or required and I'm mostly enjoying myself. Every day is different and I'm already getting to know my students and enjoying that process as well.

I have been struggling with a few key students and am hopeful that I will be able to grow and learn how best to manage the “experiences” that arise. I have learned however to take the good with the bad and as the students in my advisory left for home Friday it was to a chorus of “You’re the best advisory teacher.” I suppose they’ve heard that flattery is an expedient way to your teacher’s good graces.

In addition we finished the “carnival-style” competition we’d been having. It was a long and hot process as we had to finish the last two events outside in the heat and an unforgiving wind, but at long last the deserving team proved victorious. With a whopping score of 109 we had two teams finish in the top spot. I was very disappointed to hear that my team had not crushed the competition as I had hoped, and boasted. But worry not, for my team may not have crushed the competition but we still bested 4 of the 5 other teams and were the class to return to the flag to its rightful place: my classroom wall. Such pride resulted in the words “We have the best advisory” written in 12 year-old script on my whiteboard. All is right in the world.

Adding to my stressful week, I finished up my 3 online math classes and I have had to resign myself to achieving less-than stellar grades. I’m expecting B’s; seems I’ve been a little too busy to put the appropriate amount of attention into my studies.

Tomorrow I am starting the historical exploration of the Roman Empire. Any day is a good day at school when you get to talk about Jesus, Pagan rituals, assassinations, religious persecutions and corrupt political leaders. Long live Caesar, dictator for life, or at least until your friend stabs you in the back. Who needs daytime dramas when you have history?

No comments:

Post a Comment