Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Let me volunteer for that!

Day one I got a hug from a student as I left campus. Day two I got a "Hi" from a student across campus. Day three, feeling pretty good, I volunteer to entertain 120 7th graders for an hour...

I never claimed to be smart.

We have a free period for the remainder of the week until our elective classes start on Monday. Today we filled it with "procedures" and seeing as we only have 12 new students it went pretty quick. I, calling on my mad camp counselor skills, managed to keep my "aliens" occupied and, better than that, I kept them happy, positive, and sharing! Go me! However my co-workers had more challenges and were quite ready to get a break. So I stepped in to save the day and found myself in charge of planning a team building activity for six of our eight advisory (like homeroom) classes. Not too big of a deal, I've done it plenty of times before, and I'm glad to be helping. I just jumped in without thinking. Its still the first week. I still have no real plan past Friday and now I'm the activities director for the day. It should be interesting regardless.

I realized that a prize would be nice to offer the teams after the competition I'm planning so after work today I went on a hunt for a pirate flag/banner to give the winning team to hang in their classroom, and pass on, torch-like, to the next winning team this year. Bad news is that no one seems to have pirate flags. Good news is that Party City has last years little kid pirate costumes on sale for five dollars. Now I just need to find someone who's creative and talented with a needle and thread before lunch tomorrow.

I've always said I like a challenge. Tune in next time for "Chaos on Campus" or "Camp Counselor Calms Crowds" The betting window closes at noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment