Monday, August 2, 2010

Splash

As I sat here watching the love-lorn on the Bachelorette tonight I figured I should be blogging about my first day.

I guess since I'm not over here agonizing about it that means something.

The day began with a small amount of jitters when I rose before the sun! Surprisingly all went well. The kids came, we joked, we carried on, and then they left. In truth I confused myself between saying my "first day of school" speech four times and trying to memorize all the names. I kept thinking "Did I already tell them that?" Seems I'm floating around in the deep end, and I didn't need those water wings after all.

The classes I have are definitely quite diverse in every aspect; a plethora of skin colors, and backgrounds. I have a few new kids, and few loud kids, a few intellectual and a few very unique kids.

As most first year teachers can attest the first day can be a very lonely day. The jumping into the deep end, can feel like dropping into an abyss (for those that read my last blog can get a sampling of that experience). Don't get me wrong it is exhilarating and exciting as well, just very big. In contrast, as I discussed with my co-workers today, this particular school, this staff, has created the opposite effect. Because of their support I had the unique opportunity of feeling like a veteran teacher. My biggest dilemma and drama of the day was fine tuning my speech, not the typical, "Holy Cow what am I doing?" that I'm accustomed to.

I truely feel blessed to be able to be a part of this environment, this opportunity for me. I feel there is much growth potential for me here, growth as a teacher and otherwise. I feel like a professional, or at least that I play one on TV. I still don't know what I'm doing but I sure look good doing it. ;)

I'm sure there will be bumps in the road, and challenges ahead, I'm counting on it actually. I'm sure hoping I have something perplexing to experience or else this blog will be short lived.

Either way this will be an adventure. Stay tuned to find out just how. Tune in next time for my thoughts on "ok now I actually have to teach them something."

No comments:

Post a Comment